- About Us
- News & Events
- Contact Us
- Consumer Info
Like most fields in the medical profession, diagnostic medical sonographers (or ultrasound technicians) can specialize in a specific area within their field. While most people traditionally think of pregnancy when they hear the word “ultrasound,” rest assured as a diagnostic medical sonographer there are plenty of specialties for you to choose from within this field. Here are six common areas of specialization for sonographers.
Six Diagnostic Medical Sonographer Specializations
1. Abdominal Sonography: Yep, you guessed it. Within this field you will focus on imaging of the organs and systems of the abdomen. Abdominal sonographers also look at the nearby organs of the abdominal cavity, such as the kidney, liver and spleen. This aids the physician in diagnosing medical conditions, like kidney stones.
2. Neurosonography: Interested in learning more about the nervous system? As a neurosonographer, you will work alongside a neurologist and focus on detecting conditions of the brain and spine.
3. Obstetric and Gynecological (OBGYN) Sonography: Perhaps the most familiar type of ultrasound technician, the OBGYN sonographer creates images of infants in the womb. Besides being able to say “it’s a boy (or a girl),” as an OBGYN sonographer, you will specialize in the female reproductive system.
4. Vascular Sonography: Focus on veins, arteries and other circulatory system vessels as a vascular sonographer. Within this specialization you will focus on disorders that affect blood flow.
5. Breast Ultrasound: Similar to a mammogram, a breast ultrasound aids in the detection of breast cancer. While ultrasounds should never be used in place of a mammogram, breast ultrasounds are especially important in finding additional information and results that a mammogram has missed. For example, breast ultrasounds are used to see whether a breast lump is a fluid filled cyst or if it is a solid lump.
6. Musculoskeletal Sonography: As a musculoskeletal sonographer, you will work with orthopedic surgeons and/or sports physicians creating diagnostic imaging to detect conditions of the human skeleton, muscles, ligaments and tendons.
Whether you are currently in school for diagnostic medical sonography, or are contemplating furthering your education, there is a specialization for you. At American Institute, the diagnostic medical sonography program prepares you to sit for the Abdomen (AB) and/or Obstetrics and Gynecology (OBGYN) specialty examinations through the ARDMS. The program also provides you with a wide range of options for specialization after completing their training.
Get a degree that will give you choices with American Institute’s diagnostic medical sonographer program.
What It Takes To Become An Ultrasound Technician
June 13, 2018, NJ & CT locations – American Institute is pleased to announce the institutional accreditation for the Clifton, NJ, Somerset, NJ, Toms River, NJ, and West Hartford, CT locations granted by the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES). “I’m proud of our staff and faculty and the commitment we all share to […]
March 2018, All Locations, “Together, all the way” was the theme for the March of Dimes 2018 Blue Jeans for Babies event, sponsored by Cigna. American Institute joined in this nationwide campaign again this year on each campus by letting students or staff who donated wear blue jeans to class. Blue Jeans for Babies was […]